Indiana’s winters can be long and brutal, and heating your home is a necessity. Unfortunately, operating heating equipment improperly or carelessly can pose safety hazards and fires. Follow these tips to stay warm, toasty, and safe this season:
- Install a smoke detector and test it monthly. Smoke detectors save lives!
- A blocked or poorly maintained furnace can cause a fire. Make sure your vents are clear of any dust or debris, and have a technician perform regular maintenance.
- Give space heaters their space—keep them a minimum of 3 feet away from anything flammable.
- Never leave candles unattended, and blow them out before bed.
- Clean your chimney at least once a year. Blockages can pollute your home’s air and cause a house fire.